Waupaca Foundry, Inc., is headquartered in Waupaca, Wisconsin, and operates seven state-of-the-art iron casting foundries and two machining facilities in Wisconsin, Indiana, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Illinois.
Waupaca produces high-quality iron castings used in passenger car and light trucks, commercial vehicles, agriculture, construction, material handling, oil & gas, rail, electric motor housings, hydraulics and other industrial segments.
Waupaca Foundry has a proven history of collaborating with customers for lightweighting, quality improvements, cost reductions, machinability and more. For a full list of casting VA/VE case studies click here.
Waupaca Foundry began operations in 1955 when Clifford Schwenn purchased Pearson Foundry Machine Shop in Waupaca, Wisconsin. During this period the foundry employed 13 people and poured just 2 to 3 tons of iron daily. Today, Waupaca Foundry melts up to 2,500 tons of iron daily, across its six plants.
In 1978, ThyssenKrupp (FKA Thyssen) purchased the foundry and operated it under the name ThyssenKrupp Waupaca until 2012. In 2012, KPS Capital Partners purchased ThyssenKrupp Waupaca and renamed the foundry to its historic namesake, Waupaca Foundry, Inc. In 2014, Hitachi Metals, Ltd. signed an agreement to acquire Waupaca Foundry. Waupaca joins Hitachi Metals’ Advanced Metals Division.
Number of employees: 4,500+
Number of facilities: Headquartered in and operating three foundries and one machining facility in Waupaca, WI; and one foundry each in Marinette, WI; Etowah, TN; Tell City, IN and Lawrenceville, PA. Also, Waupaca operates a machining facility in Effingham, IL.
Square footage: More than 2,200,000 sq. ft. / 205,000 sq. m